Welcome!

My photo
Deborah Hawkins, penned Debra Renée Byrd, began writing after a blank book project in elementary school and never stopped, fashioning stories based on her favorite TV shows and movies before creating more original works. She studied at the University of the Arts and Florida State University before settling down and graduating from Temple University. She now resides in her hometown of Dover, DE, where she spends most of her time at work or at church. She loves fantasies, superheroes, is a trekkie and a brown coat. She loves television and lives for Final Fantasy video games, having collected most of them. She has read a myriad of authors, and her favorite authors change whenever she finds a new book that changes her life... "When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl...well, you know the rest." -Tracey, Firefly, "The Message"

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A to Z Challenge: Writing Colors - Mustard


Happy Hump Day!
Welcome back to the A to Z Challenge!

(You can probably skip this next paragraph, if you've been following me lol.)

This year, I am providing different colors for descriptive purposes in writing using the website Color-ize to look at an alphabetical list of colors that we can use instead of using the same basic colors we know off the top of our heads. One color can come in so many shades, so why not take a look at them?

Today's color is: Mustard


A tasty little color, isn't it? Yellow is a complex color, as we saw with Gamboge. The shades can range from having a green hue to an orange hue. I'd say this is a cooler yellow than most and probably falls in the middle just before getting to the greener shades. When you say mustard, however, people tend to know what color yellow you mean. Unless you say brown mustard or something (but who does that?).

Sidenote: When I reached "M" my first thought was marigold, but then I realized it's a flower, not necessarily a color. *sigh*

6 comments:

Sarah Foster said...

I wonder if my dislike of any shade of yellow and actual mustard are somehow related...

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

It is a nice yellow, but incredibly hard to pair with another color... :D Tasty, though!

@TarkabarkaHolgy from
Multicolored Diary - Epics from A to Z
MopDog - 26 Ways to Die in Medieval Hungary

Chrys Fey said...

I was thinking this would be an ugly color, but it's not so bad.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

That's a good point about people understanding what color mustard is. I'm not a fan of most yellows but my husband is a painter so once in a while he finds one I like.

Mark Koopmans said...

For some reason I prefer Dijon Mustard than regular mustard, but that's only when I make crab cakes!

Look what you're doing to us, Debs, we're all getting hungry - in medieval Hungary, even :)

J.L. Campbell said...

Not crazy about mustard. It's not as vibrant as I like them.