Welcome!

My photo
Deborah Hawkins, penned Debra Renée Byrd, began writing after a blank book project in elementary school and never stopped, fashioning stories based on her favorite TV shows and movies before creating more original works. She studied at the University of the Arts and Florida State University before settling down and graduating from Temple University. She now resides in her hometown of Dover, DE, where she spends most of her time at work or at church. She loves fantasies, superheroes, is a trekkie and a brown coat. She loves television and lives for Final Fantasy video games, having collected most of them. She has read a myriad of authors, and her favorite authors change whenever she finds a new book that changes her life... "When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl...well, you know the rest." -Tracey, Firefly, "The Message"

Thursday, April 4, 2013

D is for the Deborah's!!

It's still the 4th. It's still the 4th. It's still the 4th.


This is why I don't do things on an impulse. I decided to do this challenge the day it started, knowing this is the busiest month I've ever had!

But anyway, good evening! It's Day 4 of the A to Z Blog Challenge. D is interesting and has a back story.

As most know (I hope), my name is Deborah. It's a name so rooted into my personality that I couldn't even part with it for my pen name. I hate to be called Debbie by strangers, so when it happens, if I don't cringe and let it happen, a stern "DEBORAH" comes after no matter what you're saying to me. I blame this sort of on my mom, who wouldn't let anyone call me Debbie when I was kid.

Sooooo, why did she name me after her baby sister, my aunt Debbie? People say there is power in a name, and these ladies, like most sisters, call each other crazy (rightfully so, I might add) on a daily basis, and yet, she named me Deborah. Mind you, my aunt's name is deBORah, and mine is DEBorah, but..Power in a name, Mom, power in a name.

And while we're on the topic, my family has this thing about not letting a name DIE. I say this because my aunt Debbie is named after HER aunt Deborah, apparently another crazy lady because crazy runs in our family. I have yet to meet her, but I have a feeling when I do, there will be a dramatic reaction just based on the last time my mom and aunts reunited with her.

So, I feel like, just out of spite and a love for Gilmore Girls, I'm going to name one of my children deBORah, and call her Rory. Keep the name going, and see for how long it lasts...Yes. I just might do that.

No comments: