Welcome!

My photo
Deborah Hawkins, penned Debra Renée Byrd, began writing after a blank book project in elementary school and never stopped, fashioning stories based on her favorite TV shows and movies before creating more original works. She studied at the University of the Arts and Florida State University before settling down and graduating from Temple University. She now resides in her hometown of Dover, DE, where she spends most of her time at work or at church. She loves fantasies, superheroes, is a trekkie and a brown coat. She loves television and lives for Final Fantasy video games, having collected most of them. She has read a myriad of authors, and her favorite authors change whenever she finds a new book that changes her life... "When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl...well, you know the rest." -Tracey, Firefly, "The Message"

Friday, April 5, 2013

E is for Everyone!


It will be midnight by the time I hit publish, so I should do this now while it's still on my mind.

Thank you for returning! It is Day 5 of the A to Z Blog Challenge, and I dedicate this one to one of my favorite Backstreet Boys (yes, BSB 4 LIFE) songs: "Everyone" from their Black & Blue album, not to be confused with "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" from their Backstreet's Back album.

Here is a link to the live Yahoo! webcast they did back when I was in high school.
(And a quick intro for those who I will assume don't know the Boys: First Bandanna: Brian. Blonde one: Nick. Second Bandanna: AJ. Short Brunette: Howie. Cornrow Brunette: Kevin.)

I send this link in particular and not a simple video with the song on the album, because it was this performance that made me draw a treatment for the song.

Just in case someone doesn't know and/or didn't grow up with MTV's Making the Video, a treatment is what the directors come up with for music videos. Once upon a time, I had a desire to make video treatments. I made one in script-form for Hanson's song "Yearbook" and mailed it to SOMEONE. I have no idea who received it! I thought up a few others, but the summer of Black & Blue, I decided to draw a comic-style treatment for "Everyone".

The theme: "Inside the circus" (AJ sings it in Verse 2). Brian was the ring leader; Nick rode an elephant (that's all he did); Howie was the magician; AJ was "The Chameleon", whom Howie changed from a panther in his first trick, and then AJ's clothes changed colors based on what he walked on; and Kevin ate fire. There were Batman Forever-style drummers and dancers flying around, and in the end, they all got together to do the dance in the chorus (the long-and-slow salute thing).

Ironically, I was on a cruise with the Backstreet Boys two years ago. Did I take my treatment to them so they could at least sign it? Sure didn't! It's still in a bin in my closet. -_- So needless to say, my video treatment career never took off.

No comments: