Welcome!

My photo
Deborah Hawkins, penned Debra Renée Byrd, began writing after a blank book project in elementary school and never stopped, fashioning stories based on her favorite TV shows and movies before creating more original works. She studied at the University of the Arts and Florida State University before settling down and graduating from Temple University. She now resides in her hometown of Dover, DE, where she spends most of her time at work or at church. She loves fantasies, superheroes, is a trekkie and a brown coat. She loves television and lives for Final Fantasy video games, having collected most of them. She has read a myriad of authors, and her favorite authors change whenever she finds a new book that changes her life... "When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl...well, you know the rest." -Tracey, Firefly, "The Message"

Monday, April 29, 2013

Music and Y

One more day, Jesus.

Today's letter is Y, and as an avid music lover, I thought I would suggest some of my favorite albums and songs that begin with the letter Y!

Youth and Young Manhood - Kings of Leon
It's not their best album, but it introduced us (if it was the first album you heard; it was my next-to-last) to this raw, wild Southern rock band of brothers and a cousin. Caleb has such a unique voice. It's lazy, soulful, and jagged all at once. The album itself took me a couple times to listen to before I liked it, because he does a lot of noise-making, and I don't often like noise-making. Other songs, he's just talking. lol But I do like this album.

Yuna - Yuna
This album speaks my life right now. I heard Yuna on Conan one night, and I bought her EP soon after, then her album soon after that (ironically, it came out the day after I bought the EP). Yuna is this little Malay lady with a whimsical folk voice, but she puts it up against soulful pop music. I love when people do different, and she is very different. It's a wonderful album, one of my favorites.

"You Don't Know My Name" - Alicia Keys
The first song Alicia put out on her sophomore album. The album itself is great, and up until the long talking sequence at the end of the song, I love everything about this song. The classic R&B melody, the story of a crush, the clap-along moment in the bridge. Love it.

"Yes I Will" - Backstreet Boys
People don't realize the R&B influence in BSB's music unless they're fans, but this song is the quintessential R&B love song co-written by AJ. It's still on my list of potential wedding songs whenever I get married.

"Young Blood" - Birdy
I love Birdy's version of this song. It's so young and fun and full of dreams. Birdy has a wonderfully smooth voice, and being so young herself, it adds a truthful element to the song. If my life had a soundtrack, this song would be on it.

"Your Body is a Wonderland" - John Mayer
Before he started talking, John Mayer was so sexy to me. That rasp-wispy voice, the guitar playing, the lyrics. This song is one of those playful bed ballads (I made that term up). I also love the pseudo-steal of his own lyrics from "My Stupid Mouth" incorporated in the chorus (I'm never speaking up again).

No comments: