Welcome!

My photo
Deborah Hawkins, penned Debra Renée Byrd, began writing after a blank book project in elementary school and never stopped, fashioning stories based on her favorite TV shows and movies before creating more original works. She studied at the University of the Arts and Florida State University before settling down and graduating from Temple University. She now resides in her hometown of Dover, DE, where she spends most of her time at work or at church. She loves fantasies, superheroes, is a trekkie and a brown coat. She loves television and lives for Final Fantasy video games, having collected most of them. She has read a myriad of authors, and her favorite authors change whenever she finds a new book that changes her life... "When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl...well, you know the rest." -Tracey, Firefly, "The Message"

Saturday, April 27, 2013

X is for X-Men

2 more to goooo!

I've mentioned this before, but X-Men is one of the catalysts that got me into writing. Not the comic books, but the cartoon that came out in 1993.

This was my first look at these mutants led by Charles Xavier, fighting against human prejudice and the mutant crime wave. I developed a love for the "other," as someone who was often the only black student in my classes, then being considered to "act white" by black peers when I finally had some.

So one of the ways I escaped was by trying to emulate and imitate the X-Men. I wrote stories for 7 years about mutants living in a similar arrangement to the X-Men but who were teenagers trying to cope with teenaged life. I'll just call them the Hearts, because my awful titles for these stories always ended with Hearts (Wild, Stone, Captive, no idea why).

Who knows. Maybe one day I'll return to my Hearts. I had some great storylines going. lol

No comments: