Welcome!

My photo
Deborah Hawkins, penned Debra Renée Byrd, began writing after a blank book project in elementary school and never stopped, fashioning stories based on her favorite TV shows and movies before creating more original works. She studied at the University of the Arts and Florida State University before settling down and graduating from Temple University. She now resides in her hometown of Dover, DE, where she spends most of her time at work or at church. She loves fantasies, superheroes, is a trekkie and a brown coat. She loves television and lives for Final Fantasy video games, having collected most of them. She has read a myriad of authors, and her favorite authors change whenever she finds a new book that changes her life... "When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl...well, you know the rest." -Tracey, Firefly, "The Message"

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A to Z Challenge: Writing Colors - Azure


Welcome to the 2015 Blogging from A to Z Challenge!

The challenge this year is dedicated to Tina, whom I never got to meet, but she impacted a lot of people in the writing blogosphere, and this was a great idea to honor her. So let's get it done!

This year, I decided to provide different colors for descriptive purposes in writing. I'm using the website Color-ize to look at an alphabetical list of colors that we can use instead of using the same basic colors we know off the top of our heads. One color can come in so many shades, so why not take a look at them? :)

The first few I want to highlight happen to be shades of blue (it used to be my favorite color), so I'm starting A to Z with a series. ;)

Today's color is Azure.


This color is probably one of the first shades I think of when I think of blue. It's probably what most people call bright blue, because it is. It's vibrant and happy, and what we all colored our skies with in Microsoft Paint.

Another shade of blue that begins with A: Aqua (even though it has a lot more green in it).

16 comments:

Diana Wilder said...

Azure skies... That's a nice image to take with me, and a good start to the A to Z! When I lived in New Mexico we learned a song:

Under a sky of azure
Where balmy breezes blow
Kissed by the golden sunshine
Is Nueva Mexico...

I always think of those skies when I read 'Azure' or 'Azul'. Good start to the hop!

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty poem!

Chrys Fey said...

That's a pretty shade of blue. I've heard of that one. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! My writing could do with a bit more colour.
Miriam (A-to-Zing on writing historical fiction)

Annalisa Crawford said...

I love using colour in my writing. Great theme!

Annalisa at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

Jennifer Hawes said...

I love your theme! I think we do need to use more vivid color names. The regular color names get boring.

Dee said...

What a great color to pick for A! I love azure skies! :D

Mark Koopmans said...

Hmmm... so what's your favorite color now?? :)

I think azure is my favorite... it's a happy blue... and makes me think of Hawaii ;)

Jackie said...

Great theme! Love that shade of blue.

Sarah Foster said...

I love using colors in writing! Looking forward to the rest of your posts!

Toi Thomas said...

What a clever idea; informative and creative. Looking forward to more.

Deborah Weber said...

Fun theme! I look forward to your daily doses of color.

Heather R. Holden said...

Great choice for A! I love the word "azure," and the color is pretty nice, too... ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love your theme! I can't wait to see what you have in store.

Anonymous said...

Pink and purple. :D I still wear a lot of blue, though.

Nilanjana Bose said...

I live in a place which has azure skies most of the time, except in a sandstorm!
Great opening post for the A-Z

Best wishes,
Nilanjana
from Madly-in-Verse